The blog has been feeling a bit neglected recently, I’m struggling to get the time to actually update with what I’d like to write about (quick review of the Vladislav Delay gig in Hamburg, I finally got a copy of DeepChord vs. Octal Industries, and there’s a new M. Sayyid mixtape dropping soon).
I’ve managed to be ill in three countries this week, as well as sleep 80 percent of my weekend away. The other 20 percent of this weekend was spent in my little (now, not as broken) studio.
I wrote three pieces, one of which was deleted for failing to reach even my lowly standards. I bought a couple of cheap Chinese guitar pedals a few months back and have only just found the time to install the in the studio. I’ll maybe put a review of them up later in the month(s), but needless to say I think they are pretty good, and are excellent value for money.
Anyway, everything is midi sequenced through my MPC4000 and it’s all hardware synthesis and effects – I don’t do that VST bull (keepin’ it real y’all!). If anyone is interested in the particulars of the production or gear, leave me a comment and I’ll get back to you.
I’ve used the K-12 scale for mastering (and even then, quite gently) so turn it up and enjoy some dynamics. If you listen really close, you’ll here one of my tubes begin to fail in “Drama” around the 3:20 mark.
“Lights / Drama”
I’ll think about doing this more frequently from now on, at the moment it feels disingenuous to critique so much music and not put my neck on the line (I prefer to say “cock on the block”, but let’s keep things decent). That may change though.
You can download the MP3 or Flac here: Anima Recordings
Clipse / Re-up Gang have always released the best mixtapes, and more recently the mixtapes have utterly eclipsed the albums. Clipse “Numb It Down” is a fine example of that
There is no, and there never shall be a better mixtape than “Road To Till The Casket Drops”. The crowning achievement of which is “Numb It Down”, a re-edit of Lupe’s forgettable “Dumb It Down”.
Five years ago, Youtube user Ferrik44 took the words out of my mouth and distilled them into a five word sentence fragment with crystal clarity. I can’t add anything. This is 911 murda shit.
Clipse “Numb It Down”
Feel this, I’m fearless, now hear this
Tackled it after Lupe killed it,
Push Ton the last son of Mildred,
Stumbled upon the rock like a pilgrim.
Made money, money made power
Unstepped on as it came off the Mayflower.
I come from graffiti’d halls,
Now the X marks the spot on my graffiti walls,
Statuettes X’d eyes on those graffiti dolls,
Ghetto Bitches ask why – I say it’s just because.
The double entendres remind you of Andre 3K,
Make you spin it back like a DJ,
This track feeling like it’s D-day,
Fucking with P it might be D-day,
My heroin lines like checking out at BJ’s.
Pusha T just announced that he’ll be releasing his new Mixtape / EP “Fear Of God 2: Let Us Prey”, July 21st. Along with this unexpected announcement came a little MP3 called “Trouble On My Mind” (ft. Tyler, The Creator). Produced by Pharrell (I think), and changing flow every 4 bars this is a great showcase of Pusha’s drug dealing, not giving a fuck, demeanor.
It's the blackout,
'rrari got the back out
shown my black ass
engine in a glass house
Pusha’s verse oozes charm and flow, I love it. As soon as he looses the coke and Louis Vuitton references, I think we could see on of the best writers of our time. I still hold out hope that his solo album will be our first glimpse in to his non-coke-fuled music, but we’ll just have to wait and see.
As for Tyler, well I’m not the biggest fan of Tyler, The Creator – I find him a little too hipster for my taste – but his verse here isn’t bad at all. It’s got an old school jarring flow, reminds me a little of early Geto Boys releases. Nothing special, but doesn’t kill it either to be honest. Now, a Pusha T, Earl Sweatshirt collaboration is what we’re looking for…
So, July 21st is the big release, expect a review from me as soon as I get it – it’s going to be good.
Pusha T, Pusha Tonne, push a tonne of that shit that make your nose run.